Salem Reformed Church was formally organized in Doylestown in March, 1861 with a membership of twenty. Services, first held in the public school building and later in the Masonic Hall, were in both English and German. The congregation was part of the Reformed Church in the United States, long known as the German Reformed Church.
A lot was purchased in 1863, located on the south side of East Court Street between Broad and Church Streets. A brick church building was erected there and dedicated in July of 1865. By this time there were thirty-three members and a Sunday school of eighty.
1897 marked the completion of the new church building - the front portion of the present church - which took care of the congregation's needs until 1929, when a large addition was completed, greatly expanding the sanctuary capacity, the Sunday School, and kitchen facilities.
In 1929, the chancel of the newly remodeled sanctuary was adorned with beautiful tiles depicting biblical stories. Designed and installed by Henry Chapman Mercer, founder of the Moravian Pottery and Tile Works, the tiles are of great interest to members and guests, who are welcome to view them before and after services, or by appointment.
As part of Salem’s 100th anniversary improvement and renovation program in 1961, the historic Stryker home directly opposite the church on Court Street was purchased and remodeled for use as a Sunday School building. It is now known as Freeman Hall, and continues to serve the congregation and the community as an arts, music and special events venue.
Salem continues to play a vital role as a beloved community in the lives of members, guests, the Doylestown community, and the world.
We're still making history!